Debit and Credit Card Checkout Update and How-To
We have had some reports that our Shopify Payments checkout option is not working. We inquired about this issue and are working with Shopify to get this checkout option back up and running. This is the primary checkout used by individuals who wish to use their credit or debit card as their means of payment. If you are planning to checkout with your credit or debit card while we resolve this issue, you can follow the steps below to checkout as a ‘New Customer’ with PayPal. This does not require you to set up an account with PayPal but does require a few more steps than the simpler checkout method offered by Shopify Payments.
- First, add all of your items to your cart and open up the shopping cart to review your order. Once you have the correct order on your screen, click the purple CHECKOUT button in the bottom right hand corner.
- You will come to this page after clicking the checkout button. Enter your shipping information and select the blue CONTINUE TO SHIPPING MEHTOD button at the bottom right of the screen once you have reviewed that your shipping information is correct.
- Select your shipping method as usual. Then select the blue CONTINUE TO PAYMENT METHOD button at the bottom right of the screen.
- Next, select your Payment Method. If you are wanting to checkout with your Debit or Credit card, you will need to select the PayPal checkout at this time. This does not require you to have a PayPal account and does not mean that you are signing up for a PayPal account either. Once you have selected the PayPal checkout option as shown below, click the blue COMPLETE ORDER button at the bottom of the screen.
- Once you select COMPLETE ORDER you will see a Pop-Up window appear over the store’s checkout screen (shown below). Click the silver NEW TO PAYPAL button to continue your checkout process. Please Note: If you have a PayPal account, make sure you are logged out of it before you begin this process. If you are logged into your PayPal account while you are checking out, your browser will automatically bring up your PayPal account as your means of payment. If you run into this issue, go back to the previous screen, open PayPal on your computer, and log out of PayPal so that it does not automate your checkout.
- You will be directed to the PayPal Guest Checkout. The image below shows the first half of the page. Enter in your card information and card billing information for the Debit/Credit card you are trying to use. PayPal accepts Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Discover Card. Once you have done this, continue scrolling. Please Note: Your information should be automated if you allow your browser to store this information. Make sure that it is the correct information for your card before continuing.
- After you have completed the form for checkout and scrolled to the bottom, you will see the screen below. As long as you DO NOT select the checkbox marked ‘Save my payment info to create a PayPal account’ you will not be directed to create one. DO NOT check this box unless you are wanting to sign up with PayPal. If you are wanting to simply checkout, and do not wish to sign up for PayPal, simply select the blue PAY NOW button at the bottom of this scroll down window. You will be directed to confirm your purchase and will be able to complete it through the following windows.
This is our only current option to take Debit/Credit card payments through our online store while the error with Shopify Payments is being resolved. We apologize for any confusion or inconvenience. Currently this and Shopify Payments are the only integrations available to our online store for processing payments for purchases using a Debit/Credit Card. While we know that Shopify Payments is preferred and familiar to most of our customers, for those wishing to make a purchase using their Debit/Credit card at this time, this method allows you to checkout with us without creating an unnecessary PayPal account.
We are working with the Shopify team to determine what is currently wrong with our integration. It may take more than 24-hours for us to receive a response from their support team. At this time we are unsure of the reason for this error but have been instructed to wait for a response from them. In the meantime, or in the future if you are having an error with Shopify Payments at checkout, you can always use this method to process your Debit/Credit Card as your Payment Option.
We appreciate your patience as we work through this issue. Thank you for your support and we will continue to update our blog as we are notified of the reason for the error and have a time frame in which the issue will be resolved.
Love and Light,